Friday, April 24, 2015

The Lump of Land

The Lump of Land which is now in my life tells me many things.

In the morning I love watching the autumn sun warm its cliffs as the light creeps down the side of the mountain to warm the waiting houses in its shadows. When the sky is blue behind it the magnificence of its stance and structure is only truly realised.

It tells the tell tale of the day ahead. I have seen the clear skies around it and then watched in awe as the fog pours down the valley and encompasses its peak, often hugging the top in a cloud for most of the day. Or. In vast contrast. Watched as the heat from the sun battles through the chill in the air to burn that cloud off leaving the top in full view.

I have watched summer rains happen 'on the other side' and sat smugly in the sunshine knowing we won't get that rain and my washing is safe on the line. There is a fine line though where the rain decides my smugness is uncalled for and will race across the river to my waiting washing. I am learning where that line is on the land so I can be prepared and remove the rains temptation. A game of cat and mouse or dare.

From the top of the lump you look out over a marbled map of bays and islands, beaches and other hilltops. You can see up 'the valley'. You can pin point land marks along the land, easily recognisable landmarks that help you get your bearings. There are no cafe's at the top. No souvenir shops. No restaurant. No coffee cart. Just people enjoying the view and the history. The walks. The clean, clean, cold, crisp air. Respecting the magnificence.

From my bedroom window at night I know when there is likely to be an aurora happening because there are car lights clearly visible after dark as they wind their way up the road that will take them to the top. There are no street lights on the road, that would take away some of the magic.

On our drive to school we inch closer and closer to the base. A's school is near the bottom. There is a corner we turn heading up Macquarie St where the mountain occupies the entire view. It is amazing. Some days it's all mountain, other days almost the whole lump and the peak is under cloud and then some days there's a grey fog where the lump should be, hiding it.

There are many visitors to the top. Many. All year round. Some hike. Some bike ride. Most go in a car or a tourist van or coach. There are people who are prepared, many who aren't. Warmth in the city is replaced by, often, a very cold wind. It can be up to 10 or 15 degrees cooler at the summit. Even in the sunshine.

I've been to the top twice now. Both in daylight. Both cold. The first time there was snow. The second time there was just cold. It doesn't take long to get to the top in the car. It's worth it.

The lump facts... from Wikipedia, you can read more about it here

Mount Wellington - kunanyi
Rise 1,271 metres over the city of Hobart

It really is quite a spectacular wonder. I am in awe of its might and love that it greets me every morning when I open my blinds to tell me secrets of the day ahead.


No comments:

Post a Comment